Followers

11 November 2009

Veterans Day




As one veteran to all of the others- thank you. My paternal family's military history goes back to the Revolutionary War, in which Jacob Maple served in the Middlesex NJ militia as a private at the battles of Trenton and Monmouth. His son William served during the War of 1812 from Guernsey County, Ohio. William's grandson Albert Gallup Maple, my great great grandfather, served during the Civil War in a unit from Illinois. His grandson, Albert Gain Black, my paternal grandfather, served in the Army during World War I as a Lieutenant, and he is buried in Arlington national Cemetery. His son, Robert Gain Black, Sr., my dearly loved father, served in the Army during the Korean War. (Dad died on 17 September 2009, and his obituary and his funeral service reflected his military service.) Of my father's eight children, his two eldest, myself and my brother Robert Gain Black, Jr. both were commissioned into the United States Army right of college- both of us having received ROTC scholarships- mine was a four year and I graduated from St. John's UNiversity in 1984, with a Regular Army commission in the Ordnance Corps. Robert graduated from Drake University in 1985 with a Regular Army commission in the Field Artillery. He retired after serving in both Gulf Wars and in Bosnia. My husband, Geoffrey, is a Lieutenant Commander in the United States Navy Reserves. My maternal family's military history is not as extensive, as it did not precede the 19th century. My maternal grandfather served enlisted in the Navy in World War I, and one of his brothers attended West Point and served during the same war. My father in law and his brother bothe served in the 1960s and late 1950s i the US Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment